Amazing Wedding Venues in Tasmania
I have performed ceremonies at almost all of the venues described here. As my work takes me further afield I will continually add more great venues to this page.
I am happy to travel to wherever you choose to have your ceremony, bearing in mind that travelling involves my time and some expenses (additional to my celebrant fee) and which I make every endeavour to keep to an absolute minimum.
Lets begin in Richmond, it’s where I live. It is a little village, 25 minutes from the heart of Hobart city and 20 minutes from the airport. It is replete with scores of historic buildings including a gaol and a convict-built bridge; we are surrounded by pastures and orchards, sheep and cattle farms and vineyards, hills and valleys.
When asked by couples from interstate or overseas for venue ideas, I often say wait till you arrive here, go for a drive or a walk and you may find your ideal spot. I am very relaxed about you finding your ceremony venue “at the last minute” so to speak. In fact, I will give you as much help as you require to find your ideal spot.
Click on to underlined venue names to go straight to their websites.
Vineyards and farms near Richmond:
- Pooley’s Vineyard – historic sandstone stables and coach house provide a perfect backdrop for weddings — 03 6260 2895 (Intl: +61 3 6260 2895)
- Puddleduck Vineyard – outdoor venue only, vines, dam and rural setting. Bring your own marquee and caterers or have a small quiet gathering by the dam. 03 6260 2301
- Coal Valley Vineyard - indoor and outdoor ceremony and reception venue, vine and water views.
- Hatchers Manor - indoor and outdoor venue, rural and orchard views cafe/restaurant. Horse and buggy for hire for ceremonial/celebratory occasions. 03 6260 2622
B&Bs in Richmond with indoor/outdoor venue possibilities:
- Hatchers Manor Farmstay and B&B – orchard and rural views, restaurant (see above)
- Mulberry Cottage B&B and Granny Rhodes historical museum. A monologue cultural heritage presentation by ‘Granny’ Rhodes. Intimate indoor and outdoor venue, cottage garden and historical Bark Hut.
The platform over the river beside the Richmond Bridge, book with Clarence City Council – 03 6245 8600
Beside the Richmond Bridge, but on the St Johns Church (northern) side, 2 distinct grassed ceremony areas. No booking required for this side of the bridge. Popular in warmer months.
If you decide on an outdoor venue (anywhere) always have a backup covered area venue in case of rain. In Richmond, the Town Hall is a handy backup….it will accommodate quite a large number of guests. Contact the Post Office in Richmond for rates and access.
In and around Hobart City:
- Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens ph:03 6236 3050 Conservatory-under cover, themed Japanese Garden and Remembrance Arch areas as well as ponds and general garden sites. Restaurant for reception. A fee is charged for use of garden sites for ceremonies.
- Hobart City Council Parks and Reserves ph:03 6238 2886 must be booked, fee charged for use.
- St David’s Park and Rotunda (covered) in the heart of the city.
- Princes Park at Battery Point overlooking the Derwent River- no undercover areas.
- Waterworks Reserve South Hobart. 10 outdoor sites for functions accommodating small groups up to 80 people. Some are covered, have BBQ’s, one marquee site.This reserve has many ideal spots for a wedding ceremony. Very popular in the warmer months, book early.
Beaches in Hobart area:
- Blackmans Bay – 20 mins south of the city, northern end protected and more intimate,rocky headland backdrop, has a covered shelter for small-medium sized groups.
- Kingston Beach – 15 mins south of the city, no covered shelter
- Lauderdale Beach – 20 mins east of the city, one covered BBQ shelter
- Cremorne Beach – 30 mins SE of city, no covered shelter, very picturesque, intimate eastern end.
- Seven Mile Beach – 20 mins SE of city, western end protected and more intimate, rocky backdrop, a covered BBQ shelter nearby.
- Bellerive Beach – 10 mins east of city western end protected & more intimate, no covered shelter.
- Roches Beach – 10 mins east of city, protected, intimate small beach. No covered shelter.
- Risdon Brook Dam at Risdon Vale 03 6245 8600 Administered by Clarence City Council (Parks, picnics and outdoors) Has 2 covered sites, BBQ’s and lawned area, trees, walking trail, dam water views. 30 mins from city.
- Tolosa Park at Glenorchy 03 6216 6700 Administered by Glenorchy City Council. Large grassed areas with trees – 10 covered huts with BBQ’s accommodating from 20 to 150 people.30 mins from city. Booking fee, popular in warmer months, book early.
- Waterworks Park at South Hobart. Hobart City Council facility. Numerous covered shelters, small to larger. Bush setting.
Venues with gardens:
- D’Entrecasteaux Hotel – Howden A luxury hotel with 8 suites, indoor and outdoor ceremony venues over looking the D’Entrecasteaux Channel. 22 km south of Hobart. ph: 03 6267 1161
- Cascade (Brewery) Gardens Visitor Centre South Hobart ph: 03 6224Â 1117.Â Indoor and garden ceremonies 10 mins to city
Historic and stately homes and hotels in and around Hobart:
- Runnymede 03 6278 1269 National Trust property. Several function rooms and garden sites for ceremonies. Beautifully restored 1860′s building.
- Corindas Cottages at Glebe in the city. 03 6234 1590 3 cottages and the Mansion circa 1850-80 Ceremonies in mansion or formal garden. Owners will provide flowers and catering.
- Newlands Reception Centre at Mount Stuart 03 6228 4100 Can cater for 120 seated guests in function room . Garden ceremonies popular. 10 mins to city
- Lenna of Hobart Hotel at Battery Point. 03 6232 3900. 4 stars. National Trust Classification. Beautiful garden ceremonies and function rooms. Walk to Salamanca and city shops.
- Hadleys Hotel in Hobart cityÂ 03 6223 4355 Convict built in 1834 all indoor functions. Walk to all city attractions. Parking provided for patrons.
- Henry Jones Art Hotel at the city waterfront. 03 6210 7700 Innovative restoration of early 1800′s harbourside buildings. Ceremonies in function rooms or courtyard Atrium-catering for small to very large groups.
- The Old Woolstore Hotel in the city. 1800 814 676 4 stars. Rooms and apartments, function rooms and rose garden, Up to 130 guests. Tastefully and cleverly restored buildings.
- The Masterpiece at IXL Art Gallery (next door to Henry Jones Art Hotel). 03 6231 3144 Nevin Hurst director of fine art and antiques. Ceremonies in gallery- refreshments in entry courtyard.
- The Islington Boutique Hotel South Hobart – 03 62202123 award winning, restored with flair and innovation, artworks, indoor and garden ceremonies.
- Mawsons Place Victoria Dock Hobart City, a large function facility right on edge of water in the centre of Hobart. 03 62382765
- Hobart Function and Conference Centre Elizabeth Street Pier HobartÂ 03 62308979 An indoor/outdoor venue with fantastic working harbour views.
- Pendragon Hall Goulburn St West HobartÂ 03 62344773- a converted 1850′s church, combines stylish accommodation with old world charm. Indoor venue.
- Sullivans Cove Apartments – Admiral Suite – 19 Hunter St Hobart. The epitome of luxury, in the heart of the city – harbour and city views. Walk to restaurants, theatre, shopping.
Other venues recommended in Hobart and surrounding areas:
- The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania at Sandy Bay, 5 mins south from city centre,Â 03 62234599 on the waterfront, inside and outside venue, small and large groups, restaurant.
- Bellerive Yacht Club at Bellerive, 5 mins east from city centreÂ 03 62441353 upper level functions inside and deck also lawned area outside, water and boat views.
- Stonefield at Brighton, 35 mins north of the city.Â 03 6268 1902 historical home with several elegant to more casual venue alternatives, rural setting.
- Home Hill Winery at Ranelagh 40 mins south of city in the Huon River area. Indoor and outdoor ceremony areas 03 62641200
- Peppermint Bay Restaurant 35 mins south of the city. Indoor and outdoor ceremony choices. Architecturally stunning, breathtaking water views, authentic regional cuisine. 03 6267 4088
- Barilla Bay (oyster farm) Restaurant at Cambridge 6248 5458 indoor and outdoor ceremony facilities. close to airport, 20 mins to city.
- Wrest Point Casino 03 6225 0112.Â 5 mins to city. Indoor functions and outdoor garden venue by the Derwent River. Gazebo in gardens (covered)
- Redbanks Fish & Field 03 6257 5162Â A totally rural experience, 45 mins from city, 30 mins from airport. Lodge is licensed, will seat 130 guests
- Currawong Lakes Trout Fishery and Game Park, Lake Leake.Â 03 6381 1148Â 2hrs from Hobart.Fully appointed, self contained 2 and 4 bedroom 4star accommodation. Indoor and outdoor ceremony options. Restaurant-bookings required
- Wyndham Vacation Resort at Seven Mile Beach 03 6248 6222Â Indoor and outdoor venue. Close to the beach. 5 mins to airport, 20 mins to city.
- Union Chapel Cleveland adjacent to St Andrews Inn, Heritage Highway Cleveland (just north of Campbell Town). Chapel seats approx 60. Summer venue – no power connected. Has an organ, local community upkeep. Contact: 03 6391 5525
- Cambridge ~ de-consecrated sandstone chapel adjacent to a graveyard. Seats approx 60 guests, organ, power, light. To inspect and book – contact Millingtons Funerals 62114888 or 62781244
For Nature Lovers and outdoors types!
- The old Fort at Bellerive overlooking the Derwent River and Mt Wellington. No covered areas.
- The Tessellated Pavement at Eagle Hawk Neck on the Tasman Peninsular, SE of Hobart. A unique rock formation, ideal for ceremonies at low tide. Path down to pavement from car park above. No shelter but a hotel in local vicinity.
- Dove Lake at Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park. Short drive from CM Lodge and 150 meter walk from carpark to pebble beach. Fishermans hut for shelter for very small group only.
- Beach at Binalong Bay on the east coast, NE from St Helens. No shelter unless staying nearby.
- Mayfield Beach on the east coast, about 15 mins south of Swansea. Popular camping place. 1.5hrs from Hobart. No shelters provided.
- Mt Wellington – the Old Springs Hotel site and lookout, about half way up mountain. Bush surrounds venue and panoramic views from nearby lookout. Quite private, no shelter. 20 mins from city.
- Cremorne Beach, very picturesque spot, privacy for ceremony on eastern end of beach…rocks backdrop, no shelter. 25 mins from city.
- Seven Mile Beach, western end more intimate, rocky backdrop. Shelter with BBQ at the main beach 1km away. 5 mins from airport, 20 mins from city.
- Narawntapu National Park, northern Tasmania. Near mouth of Tamar River on western side of river. Bush surrounds, short trail from limited carparking. No shelter.
- Bicheno Hideaway at Bicheno – East Coast – Bushland, private beach, accommodation. Indoor and outdoor ceremony venue.
- Corinna, an unforgettable wilderness experience on the west coast of Tasmania. Cabins, restaurant, activities.
- Mt Paul on Freycinet - East Coast – natural bushland, inspirational wilderness setting, stunning views. Ceremony venue choices – can cater for large groups, self contained mountain lodges,standing camp for up to 24 people. 2.5 hours from Hobart
Lodges and cottages:
- Piermont Retreat at Swansea- on east coast. 03 6257 8131 Amphitheatre outdoor venue, verandahs on cottages. Ultimate in privacy venue surrounded by bush and ocean. 1.45 hours from Hobart.
- Freycinet Lodge, on east coast 1800 506 003 Ecolodge,indoor and outdoor venue, surrounded by bush and water.
- The Tarraleah Lodge central highlands 03 6289 1199Â Restored cottages and lodge rooms, upmarket venue, restaurant. 2 hours from Hobart
- Cradle Mountain Lodge in Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park 1300 134 044Â 2 hours from Launceston. Individual cabins. Inside venue with many outside possibilities….weather permitting.
- Franklin Manor at Strahan-on west coast 03 6471 7622 indoor or outdoor venue, historic, beautifully appointed accommodation.
- Cradle Mountain Chateau and The Wilderness Gallery 03 6492 1404 or 1800 084 620Â Â 1.75 hours from Launceston, inside or outside ceremony venues.
- Woolmers Estate at Longford 03 6391 2230. 25 mins from Launceston, 2hrs from Hobart.7 cottages, licensed restaurant, extensive grounds – Parterre garden, rose garden.
- Stewarts Bay Lodge on Tasman Peninsular 03 6250 2888 New self contained cabins. Restaurant and function venue, water and bush views. 1.25hrs to airport, 1.5hrs to City